Changes to Taranaki Base Hospital entrances and car parking
11 June 2021
Taranaki Base Hospital will undergo several changes next week to access and car parking as part of the Project Maunga Stage Two hospital redevelopment.
From Monday 14 June the main hospital building entrance and main reception areas will be relocated to the old main entrance beside Cardiology. The full New East Wing Building construction zone will also be established, creating some major changes to the main public car park.
Taranaki DHB’s chief executive, Rosemary Clements, says the changes will have a significant impact on patients, visitors and staff so the key is to be well planned and organised for a trip to the hospital.
“We apologise for the inconvenience the new build is going to have on everyone accessing hospital services, but we need to keep the big picture in mind that the Taranaki community will soon have a brand new world-class healthcare facility that meets our future needs.”
Mrs Clements says quality patient care remains the number one priority during the construction phase and planning teams have been doing a great job to ensure new entrances, access pathways and parking areas are well maintained and easy for the public to use.
“The number of campus car parks will be reduced during the construction of our new East Wing Building, but patient and visitor car parking is a priority. We advise people coming to the hospital to allow a bit more time to get to their appointments, or consider being dropped off and picked up at one of the entrances, or even use the public bus service that delivers right to the hospital door.
“We’ve tried to keep public car park numbers the same, and the best way to access these is to park close to where you want to go. Please check the Parking and Transport page on our website for information on which entrance to use.”
Changes to hospital campus entrances include:
- Gate 1, David Street - only to be used for entry into Maternity, Outpatients and ED, or for drop offs at the main entrance and for people needing disability parking.
- Gate 2, Tukapa Street – entry into the COVID-19 testing centre, Public Health Unit, Child and Adolescent Community Centre (CACC), Medical/Oncology Outpatients, Cancer Coordination Centre, Drug and Alcohol, Older People’s Health and Mental Health services.
- Gate 3, Lorna Street – this entry is now CLOSED for the duration of the build.
- Gate 4 via Lyn Street – this is now the new entry into the main hospital public car park. It is also the entry point for some construction vehicles and has a new speed limit of 5km per hour.
Tips on parking at Taranaki Base Hospital
- Patient and visitor parking areas are marked with blue lines
- Patients, visitors and staff can all use parking areas marked with white lines
- Only staff can use the car pooling parking areas marked with green lines
- Specified mother and baby parking is available adjacent to the Antenatal Clinic and outside the Child & Adolescent Community Centre (CACC).
- PLEASE REMEMBER: The new way to access the main public car park is now through Gate 4 off Lyn Street.
- Access from the main public car park to the hospital building will be via the new public walkway which is clearly painted RED (see map below).
Mrs Clements says to help mitigate the impact of car parking on DHB staff a number of initiatives have been put in place as alternative options for getting to work.
“We have a new Park and Ride free shuttle service which is proving popular with staff, as well as a car pooling scheme to encourage shared transport. Staff are also reporting the use of public transport and many are choosing active, sustainable transport like biking, scootering and walking.”
Click here to open a PDF of the map (PDF 100 KB)
Last updated: Friday, June 11, 2021