New vaping laws take effect today
Hon Andrew Little
Minister of Health
11 November 2020
The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020, passed in August 2020 and comes into effect today.
It introduces a range of prohibitions and restrictions on vaping which will be phased in over a 15-month period through to February 2022.
Some of the key initial changes from today are:
- the sale or supply of vaping products to under 18s is prohibited
- indoor vaping is prohibited at workplaces, restaurants and licensed premises
- vaping is prohibited at schools and early childhood centres (including outdoors)
- most advertising and sponsorship of vaping products is prohibited
- retailers cannot encourage the use of vaping products (with some exceptions).
Last updated: Wednesday, November 11, 2020