Taranaki patients are receiving their first surgical assessment faster



Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman

Minister of Health

29 April 2015

Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says Taranaki DHB patients are receiving their first surgical assessments faster compared to ten years ago.

“Speeding up patient’s access to their first surgical assessments has been a priority for this Government,” says Dr Coleman.

“At the same time, we have also increased the number of patients receiving their first surgical assessment compared to ten years ago.

“Last year a record 7,881 Taranaki patients received their first surgical specialist assessment, compared to 5,944 in 2009. That’s an increase of 32 per cent.

“In 2005 there were 33,000 patients nationwide waiting over six months for either a specialist assessment or surgery. Today there are just 35.

“We have set clear health targets which have helped to reduce the wait for the first surgical assessment as well as increase the volume being seen.

“These results are a credit to Taranaki’s health professionals and helped by the Government’s investment of around $460 million in new money into the health budget each year.”

Media contact: Angela Kenealy 021 220 0129

 


Last updated: Wednesday, April 29, 2015

DHB - About Us | Contact Us | Find Us | Sitemap | Disclaimer | Ministry of Health | New Zealand Government | Taranaki DHB Private Bag 2016 New Plymouth 4342 | © 2010
v2.00