Options for Primary Maternity Services for Taranaki Population considered by DHB Board
23 March 2015
Taranaki DHB has now completed its future options appraisal for Maternity services for Stratford women, and its recommendations will be considered by the Taranaki DHB Board in its meeting on 26 March.
Becky Jenkins, Taranaki DHB Planning and Funding Manager said, “A comprehensive assessment of options was required because of the recent history of providing the Stratford Maternity Service which has been extremely challenging.”
“It is the DHB’s responsibility to ensure reliable and safe access to services for the Taranaki population and we have consulted and engaged widely with service users, health professionals and community members to help shape our recommendation to the Board, with the aim of providing certainty for future service arrangements,” added Ms Jenkins.
The following recommendations have been put forward to the Taranaki DHB Board and include:
- Strengthen and maintain reliable services for the Taranaki Population by providing access to Primary Maternity Services from Taranaki Base and Hawera Hospitals.
- Strengthen the model of care at Hawera Maternity Unit to closer align to service provision as delivered previously in Stratford, acknowledging the importance and value of the model of care at Stratford Maternity.
- Promote the utilisation of primary low risk births at Hawera Hospital Primary Maternity Unit or Home Births for Stratford and South Taranaki women, in conjunction with LMCs, and community groups.
- Support and maintain the rural Midwifery workforce as Midwifery is a vital service for the Central and South Taranaki communities
- Explore the potential for the development of a maternal and child health hub in Stratford acknowledging the journey through pregnancy and early childhood.
- Work with St John to ensure timely responsiveness for Maternity call-outs and provide targeted training where there is an identified need.
- Consider this option appraisal as part of any future review of Maternity Services for Taranaki
A full copy of the options appraisal is available on page 80 of the Taranaki District Health Board agenda found here. The DHB Board will consider the service options and the recommendations at the Board meeting on 26 March 2015.
For more information please call:
Cressida Gates, Media Advisor, 027 703 6177
Last updated: Monday, March 23, 2015