Low Cost General Practices (GPs)
From 1 December 2018, several changes took place to provide people with cheaper visits to GPs. The changes included:
- Extending free visits to GPs and after-hours services to under-14s (previously under-13s), and removing the regular $5 prescription fee on subsidised prescriptions.
- More general practices to provide low-cost visits for all community service card (CSC) holders. This includes injury-related visits (ACC).
- Extending CSC eligibility to all people receiving the accommodation supplement or who are tenants in social housing.
Zero fees for under-14s
Most children aged 13 and under who are enrolled with a general practice will not be charged:
- a fee for a standard visit with a doctor or nurse
- an after-hours fee at participating clinics or pharmacies
- the regular $5 prescription fee.
The zero fees scheme applies to a standard daytime visit to a doctor or nurse at the usual practice where the child is enrolled, or to an after-hours visit to a participating clinic. It also applies to injury related visits covered by ACC.
Check with the practice you are visiting to find out if there is a fee. Make an appointment with your regular practice if you can.
Fees for extended consultations, procedures and extra services, such as certificates or equipment, will continue to be charged in the usual way.
Very Low Cost Access (VLCA)
The Very Low Cost Access (VLCA) scheme supports general practices with an enrolled population of 50% or more high needs patients where the practice agrees to maintain patient fees at a low level.
Fees at these practices will not exceed:
- zero fees for children aged 0–13 years.
- $12.50 maximum for children aged 14–17 years.
- $18.50 maximum for adults aged 18 years and over.
Click here for a full list of Taranaki general practices and their fees.
Taranaki General Practices schemes
|Practice Name||Zero fees for
|Low cost GPs (VLCA)||Accepts community
service cards (CSC)
|Avon Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Bellomo Family Health||✔||✘||✔|
|Central Medical Centre||✔||✘||✘|
|City West Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Devon Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Dr R G Radich||✔||✔||N/A*|
|Eastside Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Eltham Health Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Family Health Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Full Circle Medical||✔||✘||✔|
|Medicross Taranaki Ltd||✔||✘||✔|
|Moturoa Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Ngati Ruanui Healthcare||✔||✔||N/A*|
|Ngati Ruanui Patea Medical Centre||✔||✔||N/A*|
|Oakura Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Opunake Medical Centre||✔||✔||N/A*|
|Parklands Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Phoenix Urgent Doctors||✔||✘||✔|
|Powderham Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Regan Street Health Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Tui Ora Family Health||✔||✔||N/A*|
|Tukapa Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Vivian Medical Centre||✔||✘||✔|
|Waitara Health Centre||✔||✔||N/A*|
* Practices can only opt into the VLCA or CSC scheme and not both.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2019