Hospital Dental Care
All hospital dental care is accessed by a referral from a registered health practitioner.
Dental care is provided at Taranaki DHB’s Dental Unit for people who require a hospital setting, such as those with disabilities, special needs and some adults.
The service supports the dental services provided by dentists, Oral Health mobile units and the local Community Oral Health clinics.
Some of the specialist dental services available at Taranaki Base Hospital and Hawera Hospital include:
- Oral health services as part of inpatient hospital medical and surgical treatment
- Dental services needing admission to hospital eg services needing a general anaesthetic
- General and specialist oral health services for people needing special care because of medical conditions or disabilities
- General and specialist oral health services for persons requiring special care or severe conditions that cannot be treated at a general practice
- Oral-maxillofacial Surgery by a registered Oral maxillofacial Surgeon
There may be a fee for some hospital services. For patients who are Community Services Card holders the fees are subsidised.
Last updated: Tuesday, July 16, 2019