What is the scholarship programme?
Professionals in the Taranaki Region by providing financial support during their academic years. The focus for the programme has been those health professions where there are known critical shortages. From an applicant perspective we identify applicants from rural locations, low decile secondary schools and those who identify as Maori. This ensures we have a demographic mix representative of the Taranaki region. There are two types of awards that are made annually:
- A financial award of $2,500 for the duration of the undergraduate degree that is subject to the recipient completing a minimum of a 3 week work experience placement, normally in their summer break. These offer students an opportunity to learn on the job within the health sector and practice the knowledge they gain through their studies. Building relationships with managers and their staff increase their networks and create mentors for them.
- A one-off financial award of $750 for that year of study only meaning the recipient must re-apply to the scholarship programme the following year.
Applying for a TDHB Scholarship
Applications are now open and close on 12 March 2017. Final decisions will be completed by 30 June of each year and applicants notified of these decisions. The scholarships are awarded at a ceremony in December each year. Click here to make an application.
What Recipients say about the Scholarship Programme?
Since 2001 the Taranaki DHB has supported many students studying in a range of specialities and a majority of these students have returned to Taranaki to commence their career in the health sector. Here is how recipients view the benefits of the scholarship programme:
"I have thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the scholarship provided by TDHB. It has allowed me to experience the daily activities of clinical Dietitians, positively impacted my studies and fuelled my passion for health. I appreciate the support I have received throughout my studies and am grateful for the opportunities the program has provided”.
"Being a TDHB scholarship recipient not only helped me financially, but also gave me opportunities to interact with my future employers and get to know potential co workers. I was able to learn more about the IBA system and orientate myself with hospital processes, which was beneficial for my nursing training.”
"I have a real sense of belonging in Taranaki. The TDHB scholarship programme has exposed me to the wonderful opportunities available in this region, and learn from the extremely skilled set of staff right here in our backyard. I wholeheartedly recommend this scholarship programme to anyone considering applying. It has been an incredible support to my university learning and a great part of my personal growth as a student, a future pharmacist and as a health professional.”
Who are the current recipients of scholarships?
Congratulations to all recipients of a Taranaki District Health Board Health Education Scholarship for 2016:
2016 Scholarship Recipient List
Dillon Manuirirangi - Medicine
Bree-Anna Langton - Medicine
Letesha Radford - Medicine
Dominca Wearne - Nursing
Berea Morrison - Nursing
Laura Knox - Nursing
Clarissa Percival - Mental Health
Brooke Coxhead - Oral Health
Te Waikapoata Tamati - Dental Surgery
Megan Jones - Midwifery
Natasha Hutchieson - Midwifery
Daniel Fake - Physiotherapy
Victoria Thomson - Occupational Therapy
Micah Hintz - Dietetics
Emma Ternouth - Dietetics
Other scholarships available:
- The Patea Centennial Bursary
- Health Education Funding Scholarships (PDF 174KB)
- Fullbright Scholarships
- New Zealand Federation of Woman's Institute
- Ti Maru Maori Trust Scholarship
- Toitu Kaupapa Maori Matauranga
- Te Rau Puawai- Massey University Scholarships
- Te Rau Matatini
- Te Puni Kokiri
- Pacific Island Polynesia Education Foundation
- Hauora Scholarships
- Takoa Rua-Mana Scholarships
- Matatini Scholarships
- Te Tapuae o Rehua Scholarships
- Ngārimu VC & 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Irihapeti Ramsden Memorial Midwifery Scholarships
- Sir Apirana Ngata Memorial Scholarship
- Albany Campus Maori Bursaries (Massey University)